Strengthening our community’s health has been the primary focus of the Mid-Iowa Health Foundation since we began in 1984.
Through the formation of the Mid-Iowa Health Foundation in 1984, local leaders carried on the tradition of Northwest Community Hospital, which had supported the health of its community for over 25 years. Endowed by proceeds of the sale of the hospital, the Foundation commits resources to improving health in greater Des Moines, Iowa.
Greater Des Moines is a healthy community.
To serve as a catalyst and partner for improving the health of vulnerable people in greater Des Moines.
is committed to quality improvement. We always welcome your feedback. Please email us at email@example.com to let us know how we are doing. Click here for the MIHF Concern/Complaint Policy.
- Good health is a balance of physical, social, and emotional states.
- Social, economic, policy, environmental, and cultural factors shape health access and outcomes.
- In targeting our work towards those members of our community that are most vulnerable.
- It is our responsibility to maximize Foundation impact by creating alliances with local, regional and national partners.
- In a commitment to continuous learning in order to best address emerging health issues and to implement foundation best practices.
- The resources of the Foundation are a public trust to be managed, invested and used responsibly according to the Foundation’s mission.
- In serving as a grant making foundation with complementary roles in convening, knowledge-sharing, and collaboration to fully advance our priority and mission.
- In operating the Foundation in perpetuity, with the understanding that an opportunity to make significant, long-term impact may warrant investment above that which is required.
- In serving Greater Des Moines by supporting both community-level and system-level projects and by using a blend of investments in direct service and advocacy.
Mid-Iowa Health Foundation’s
approach to realizing our mission:
- Mid-Iowa Health Foundation is committed to accelerating action and catalyzing innovative solutions to the most pressing health needs of vulnerable children and youth in our community.
- Mid-Iowa Health Foundation is committed to serving as an objective, independent foundation and advancing our mission through learning, convening, knowledge sharing, and collaboration.
- As a public trust, Mid-Iowa Health Foundation is committed to managing, governing, investing and using its resources responsibly according to the Foundation’s mission.
Mid-Iowa Health Foundation was honored to be presented the State of Iowa Philanthropic Impact Award by Governor Terry Branstad during the November 2012 Iowa Nonprofit Summit. The Foundation was cited for demonstrating commitment and dedication to improving the quality of life in Iowa’s communities through timely, innovative and impactful grantmaking.